I grew up with my Mom’s homemade french toast made from baguettes and would never switch to the more traditional thick bread slices. What I like about using smaller pieces is that you get a bit more surface area to taste that deliciously crunchy outside, while keeping it light and fluffy inside. Serve with a slice or two of bacon for a perfect Saturday brunch.
Type: Good for the Body
Time: 20 minutes
1 small French baguette
¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 quart of strawberries (about 4 cups sliced)
¼ cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tbsp butter
maple syrup, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°C. Spread coconut flakes evenly on a baking pan. Set aside.
- Wash and slice strawberries into quarters. Set aside.
- Cut baguette into 12 even slices and arrange in large glass pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour egg mixture over bread slices. To make sure they are soaked through, leave soaking in egg mixture for approximately 3 minutes, turning over once.
- Melt butter over medium heat on a frying pan.
- Once bread is soak through, place slices on frying pan without crowding the pan. You may need to cook in two batches.
- Cook for about 2 minutes each side, until a dark golden brown.
- Once the French toast is cooking, place coconut flakes in oven for approximately 5 minutes, taking care to make sure they don’t burn.
- Once French toast is cooked, plate 3-4 pieces per person and top each plate with 1 cup strawberries and 1/3 of toasted coconut flakes.
– Magical Properties –
It might not be the lowest calorie or highest fiber breakfast, but this recipe can definitely provide you with a nutrient boost on a Saturday morning. Strawberries are they star of the show by providing all of your vitamin C needs in one serving of this recipe. This nutrient is important in collagen formation, strengthening bones and blood vessels, supporting your immune system and acting as a powerful antioxidant. These bad-ass fruits are also low calorie and contain small amounts of folate, magnesium and manganese for added power.